Saturday, January 22, 2011

Leaping and Hopping on a Moonshadow

When we arrived at Agua Caliente two weeks ago, we drove into the park in complete darkness, unaware of the scenery that surrounded us, but awed by the star filled, moonless sky. This past Wednesday, exactly two weeks after our arrival, the nighttime experience was quite the opposite of the first night. The full moon shown over the desert. It was more than I could have ever imagined. I have never seen a night so bright before in my life. The moon light reflects off the sand, so bright that not only can you see the outlines of the surrounding mountains, but you can see details of cacti and rocks, lining the mountainsides. On Wednesday night, my friend Allison and I walked back from a lovely nighttime soak in the hot tub. Without flashlights our path was guided completely by the moon and we marveled at the impression our moon shadows made on the sand. I headed to the tent and listened to the sounds of frogs echo throughout the valley, lulling me to sleep.

(Photo by Taylor Dearman)

No comments:

Post a Comment