Sunday, February 13, 2011

This Week in Green 2...

Time in short, and so this post will be too.

The past week has been a busy and exhausting week. Continuing from the dramatic weekend last weekend, through to the sad news about Brett, everyone needed a bit of a break. Lucky for us, this wednesday was a staff potluck at Agua Caliente. After working hard clearing out an extremely overgrown creek bed that runs from the natural hot spring all morning, we headed over to Kevin's (the head ranger) house for food, food, and more food. It was a great event and a wonderful afternoon.

On Friday, nine of us headed out to Tierra Miguel Organic Farm, two hours away in Pauma Valley, for an ISP (Independent Service Project). We worked all day pulling weed blocker out of strawberry fields. Throughout the day we encountered many bugs, several spiders, four black widows (yikes! I freaked out. Before friday I had never once seen a black widow and then I found two of the four that we discovered.), and one allergy attack that required an immediate trip to a local market for some Benadryl. All in all, a good day.

Yesterday, Saturday, seven of us headed out for our most intense and most rewarding hike yet. We went to what are called the Three Sisters, a series of three waterfalls. We had heard from the team that was down here before us, that we had to go on this hike and that is was rather strenuous. After the hike in, I did not entire understand why they had said it was so strenuous, but the hike back out proved to be a more intense experience. Still, all in all, the hard work was nothing compared to the reward. The waterfalls were fantastic, the scenery was beautiful and a nice change from our constant desert views, and it was nice to do a popular hike with other people around and sharing in our experience.

At the top of the third waterfall a few of my teammates jumped about 20 feet into a pool below. Those of you who really know me will not be at all surprised to hear that I did not even pretend I was going to attempt the jump myself. I was the cameraman instead, catching each jump on film.

After the hike we met up with the rest of our team in Julian, had some time in town, and then headed to the red barn for food and great live music from Sara Petite (an artist who was there a few weeks ago and whose cd I bought).

Now we are in the home stretch here at Agua Caliente. Less than two full weeks left till we head back to Sacramento for transition. Still don't know our next project, but I will definitely let you all know when I do. I am very eager to hear where we will be going next! But for now, I am content to just enjoy the rest of my time here. I cannot believe we are leaving so soon. Time has flown and this project has been wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment