Monday, October 25, 2010

Green 2 Takes on Sacramento


This past week has been full of more trainings, many of them based off working as a team and getting to know the people we will be spending the year with. Community mapping. The trainings have definitely been more interactive and interesting since we have been in teams and the long days, though still exhausting, are not as snooze inducing. One day our task was to spend the afternoon getting to know Sacramento. The training was called Community Mapping. We had a photo scavenger hunt and got to go all over the city taking photos with specific numbers of team members doing specific things in each different location.

We had to be done by 5pm and we managed to take the last photo at exactly 4:59pm, with enough time to take a photo of the clock as proof of our perfect timing. We were one of two teams (out of the seven in our unit) to finish with every assigned photo taken!

In Other news: I had my first experience driving the 15 passenger vans we use to drive everywhere. These things are enormous and I must admit I was a little nervous to drive this tank of a vehicle. It went perfectly fine though and I know I will get used to it. By the time I drive my little Toyota Camry again it will feel so small and wonderful!

Also, in another training, I had by first Americorps training in construction. We learned about tools and then as a team built a box to put in our van. We also got to wear our super cool hard hats, boots, gloves, and protective eyewear (all of these items make up our PPE- Personal Protective Equipment).


No comments:

Post a Comment