Monday, October 25, 2010

A Weekend in San Francisco

After the big move on Friday, we had the weekend off. As soon as we had been assigned to teams on Wednesday night and found out of schedules for the coming days, my pod-mates and I had decided to take the days off as a wonderful opportunity to travel down to San Francisco. All eight of us left around midday on Saturday. We got off in San Francisco at the Ferry building and starting walking down along the piers. Then Alyssa Simpson came to pick me up! She was easy to spot coming down the street in an enormous silver pickup truck with a mattress in the flatbed. Alyssa, Greg, and Dan had just gained access to their new apartment and were starting to move in a few items before for the big move in the following weekend. Alyssa and I picked up Greg and Dan and then headed off to see the apartment. The apartment is in the Castro and is a first floor of a well-kept house. It is a great space, complete with dining room, kitchen, living room, and the best room, the sunroom.

I was originally going to meet back up with the pod for the evening, but I ended up spending the night with Alyssa, Greg, and Dan, and it was really wonderful to have that time with them. We went to dinner that the home of the good family friend of Alyssa’s, Carolyn and Jim. It was a great dinner with great company and I was happy to included in the event.

The next morning, Alyssa and I woke up before the boys and walked to a nearby farmer’s market, before strengthening rain pushed us back indoors and Alyssa’s Dad came over to cook a wonderful Sunday morning breakfast. Alyssa’s friends Annessa and Tamara also joined us for breakfast. Alyssa had to keep working on things for the apartment, so I went to a coffee shop with Annessa and Tamara until it was time for me to meet up with my Americorps friends (who were on a bus tour of the city).

To meet them, I took an old-fashioned streetcar downtown. It was certainly not he most efficient mode of transportation and it took forever, but the driver of the car was incredibly entertaining. He talked both to people inside the increasingly crowded car and to the passers by on the street. An Australian family next to me was endlessly entertained by his antics and I was in turn entertained by their delight.

Now reunited with my Americorps friends, we had a great dinner and then got on the greyhound to head home to Sacramento. It was a very relaxing and fun weekend. Thanks to Alyssa for hosting me! It was so nice to be reunited with some Trinity friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment